My background is computational, and my research interests have typically skewed in that direction. I feel that a great deal of modern medical physics research requires the ability to understand and create code.
My current Research Interests include, but are not limited to:
- Motion management
- Image Guided Adaptive Radiotherapy
- Medical image analysis and visualization
- Computer graphics/vision
Currently Teaching at WSU:
Medical Physics Graduate Students
- ROC 7160
- ROC 7000
- ROC 7150
Radiation Therapy Undergraduate Students
Due to the fact that I started at WSU relatively recently, much of my recent research was done without the assistance of graduate students. However, I plan on extended much of the research that I have worked on previous to my appointment at WSU, and would love to mentor graduate students in their projects.
Rebecca Lynn Meerschaert, undergraduate student (2015-present, 1st place 9th Annual Undergraduate Physics Research Conference through Wayne State)
- 2014/7- 2015/7, Co-Investigator, American Cancer Society-KCI, “4D Lung Tomo-synthesis Imaging”
- 2015/5- 2016/5, PI, WSU University Research Grant, “3D liver tumor tracking based on 4D MRI Image Sequence”
- 2015/5-2015/7, PI/Mentor, AAPM Summer Mentorship Grant
- 2015/8-2018/8, PI, Elekta SOW, “Adaptive Management of Cervical Cancer Radiotherapy using ADMIRE”, TBD
- “Preliminary Study of MR Diffusion Tensor Imaging of the liver for the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma”, Xinghui Li, Qi Liang, Ling Zhuang, Xiaoming Zhang; Tianwu Chen; Liangjun Li; Jun Liu; Horea Calimente; Yinan Wei; Jiani Hu. PLoSONE10(8), 2015
- “Evaluation of Image Guided Motion Management Methods in Lung Cancer Radiotherapy”,Ling Zhuang, Jian Liang, Di Yan, Dan Ionascu , Victor Mangona , Jun Zhou. Med. Phys. 41 , 031911, 2014
- "A visi-coil fiducial markers detection method on kV projection images during prostate radiation therapy”, Shirin Badiei, Ling Zhuang, Jia Li. In Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference (NSS/MIC), pp. 1-5, 2013
- “An optimization algorithm for 3D real-time lung tumor tracking during arc therapy using kV projection images”,Ling Zhuang, Jian Liang, Di Yan, Tiezhi Zhang, Ovidiu Marina, and Dan Ionascu. Med. Phys. 40, 101710, 2013
- “Volumetric Meshfree Framework for Joint Segmentation and Motion Tracking of Left Ventricle”, Ling Zhuang, Huafeng Liu, Pengcheng Shi. Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, p396-399, 2007.
- “Joint Segmentation and Motion Estimation of Left Ventricle with an Anisotropic Biomechanical Model”, Ling Zhuang, Huafeng Liu, Hujun Bao. Journal of Progress in Natural Science, Vol 17(2), p226-229, (2007).
- "A Framework of Joint estimation of Shape and Motion Parameters for Left Ventricle based on 4D MR Images(in Chinese)". Ling Zhuang, Huafeng Liu, Hujun Bao. Journal of Progress in Natural Science, Vol 17(3), p396-400, (2007).
- “A Simultaneous Framework for Recovering Three Dimensional Shape and Non-rigid Motion from Cardiac Image Sequences”, Ling Zhuang, Huafeng Liu, Xiao Liang, Hujun Bao, Hongjie Hu, and Pengcheng Shi. Proceedings of the 27th Annual International Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, p5731-5734, (2005).
- “Simultaneous Segmentation and Motion Recovery in 3D Cardiac Image Analysis”, Ling Zhuang, Huafeng Liu, Wei Chen, Hujun Bao, Pengcheng Shi. Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Computer Vision for Biomedical Image Applications in conjunction with ICCV 2005, LNCS 3765, p499-507, (2005).
- "The Application of XML in WEBGIS(in Chinese)". Ling Zhuang, Xinkai Feng, Xiangwen Qu, Liang Sun. Journal of Shandong Agricultural University (Natural Science Edition). Vol 35 (1). (2004).
- "The Algorithm of Removing Hidden Line of Mining Laneway Solid Plot . Xiuqin Qi, Ji Li, Ling Zhuang. Shandong Coal Science and Technology. Vol 1, p38-39, (2003).
- “Development of a Novel 4D MRI Technique for Real-time Liver Tumor Tracking during Radiotherapy”, Ling Zhuang, Yongquan Ye, Rui Zhuang, Burmeister Jay. Med Phys. Jun;42(6), 2015
- “Investigation of a Synthetic Diamond Detector for Tomotherapy Dosimetry”, C Knill, V Zakjevskii, A Nalichowski, R Halford, M Snyder, L Zhuang, J Burmeister. Medical Physics, 41 (6), 338-338, 2014
- ”Real-time Prostate Tracking during VMAT Delivery Incorporating Prostate Rotation Estimation based on a Single Projection Image”, Ling Zhuang, Jun Zhou, Xiaochao Xu, Di Yan. Accepted as Oral presentation in RSNA, 2013.
- “Variation of Parotid Delineation Utilizing Auto-Segmentation Technique”, Jian Liang, Ling Zhuang, Ying Sun, Hong Ye, Di Yan. Submitted to ASTRO 55th Annual Meeting, 2013.
- “Treatment Dose Evaluation of IGRT & Adaptive Plan Modifications for H&N Cancer Radiotherapy”, Kai Yang, Jian Liang, Ling Zhuang, Di Yan. ASTRO 55th Annual Meeting, 2013.
- “An Effective Method for Stripe Artifact Removal from Kilovoltage Imaging when used in Conjunction with Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)”, Raminder Sandu, Ling Zhuang, Di Yan, Dan Ionascu. Presented in Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) 2012.
- “Head & Neck Patient Setup Using 3D Surface Matching: Accuracy and Performance Analysis”, Jun Zhou, Ling Zhuang, Ben Wilkinson, Peter Chen, Dan Ionascu, Danniel Krauss, Shannon Martin, Jennifer Wloch, Di Yan. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, Vol 84(3), S729-S730, 2012
- “Evaluation of Atlas-Based Auto-Segmentation for Head Neck Cancer Patient”, Penggang Bai, Ling Zhuang, Ying Sun, Jian Liang. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, Vol 84(3), S807, 2012.
- “A New Method & Schema for Real-Time Prostate Tracking During VMAT Delivery”, Ling Zhuang, Di Yan, Jia Li. Med. Phys. 39, 3999, 2012
- “Enhancement of Lung Tumors Detectibility During Gantry Rotation Using Iterative Principal Component Analysis Methodology”, Raminder Sandhu, Joshua Kim, Tiezhi Zhang, Di Yan, Ling Zhuang, Dan Ionascu, Med. Phys. 39, 3603, 2012
- “The Effect of the Scattering Volume of Phantom On Dose Calculation Accuracy Using Elekta's Cone-Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) for Head-Neck Radiotherapy”, Xiaoqin Jiang, Tao Li, Guang Peng, Renming zhong, qinfeng Jiang, Ling Zhuang, Sen Bai. Med. Phys. 39, 3829, 2012
- “Evaluation of three Image Guided Motion Management in Lung Cancer Radiotherapy”, Ling Zhuang, Di Yan, Dan Ionascu. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, Vol 81(2), p6, 2011
- “Manual Contouring Versus Automatic Propagation Of Head-and-neck Delineation In Weekly Helical CT (HCT) And Cone-beam CT (CBCT) Images”, O. Marina, J. Liang, I. S. Grills, D. Lee, B. Zheng, L. Zhuang, Y. Chi, D. Krauss, P. Y. Chen, D. Yan. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, Vol 78(3), S711-S712, 2010
- “Real Time Tumor Tracking During VMAT Treatment”, Ling Zhuang, Jian Liang, Di Yan, Neelam Tayagi, Doug Drake, Dan Ionascu. Medical Physics Vol 37, p3402, 2010.
- "Treatment Beam's Eye View Speed-Modulated CBCT Imaging Used in a Triple Imaging Modality to Track Moving Tumors During Treatment Delivery." Dan Ionascu, Ling Zhuang , Jian Liang , Di Yan. Medical Physics Vol 37, p3154, 2010.
- “A Comprehensive Dose-Volume Analysis of Predictors of Pneumonitis and Esophagitis Following Radiotherapy for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC)”, S. F. Shaitelman, I. S. Grills, J. Liang, L. Zhuang, V. Mangona, D. Yan, L. L. Kestin. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, Vol 75(3), S468, 2009.
Presentations in 2015
- “Development of a Novel 4D MRI Technique for Real-time Liver Tumor Tracking during Radiotherapy” American Association of Physicists in Medicine 57th Conference Meeting, Anaheim, CA, July 2015.
- “Use of Data Mining Techniques on Dosimetric Data in a Range of Interest for Prediction of Lung SBRT Local Control and Local Failure” Presented at the 2015 Exploring Opportunities for Radiation Oncology in the Era of Big Data held by American Society for Radiation Oncology, Bethesda MD, August 2015.
- “ADC Values as a Biomarker to Predict Tumor Response of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Brain Metastases Treated with Gamma Knife Stereotactic Radiosurgery” Presented at the 2015 Exploring Opportunities for Radiation Oncology in the Era of Big Data held by American Society for Radiation Oncology, Bethesda MD, August 2015.
- “Semi-Automatic Extraction of Orbital Blood Vessel Paths From BORR MRI Sequence Data Using a Fast Marching Implementation” Presented at the 2015 IEEE Southeast Michigan Spring Conference, Ann Arbor MI, April 2015.